From the street, Vicarage Road looks like a typical 1900’s end of terrace house. Passing through the front door reveals a tightly tapering site that resulted in the existing building becoming increasingly narrow to the rear, culminating in a series of small outhouses. The existing house was also suffering from extensive subsidence due to a 1.5m change in level between the house and the adjacent factory.
The renovation and refurbishment works were carried out in two stages. The first was to completely remove the badly damaged font façade, underpin the existing side walls and completely rebuild the front elevation with new foundations. Care was taken to reuse the existing bricks and the existing UPV windows were replaced with working hardwood sashes.
The second phase was to demolish the rear lean-to outbuildings and kitchen at ground floor level and a first floor bathroom. A new, two storey extension was constructed to the rear using the full width of the site. This incorporated a kitchen on the ground floor and a new double bedroom at first floor. Due to limited access to the back garden, a small courtyard was created opening from the Dining Room by means of the removal of one of the existing external walls. Further connections were made between the kitchen and dining room by the removal of existing walls either side of an existing fireplace. Finally a new bathroom was created in the centre of the house at first floor level.
This project made the most of a complicated site, giving a much dilapidated house a new lease of life; retaining its existing Edwardian character to the front whilst providing a light and open set of living spaces, to the rear.